Weightlifting: the Ultimate Olympic Power Sport!
Record numbers of athletes have taken up the Olympic sport of weightlifting in recent years. This is due to several variables, including CrossFit, interest from athletes in other sports, and through the efforts of a huge number of new weightlifting coaches in this country.
“Compared to a few years ago its pretty easy to find someone to teach weightlifting basics,” says Harvey Newton, former USA Olympic Team coach for weightlifting. “It’s more challenging to take an athlete to the highest international level of performance.”
Harvey Newton, America’s first national weightlifting coach, has successfully coached athletes from the local club level to the Olympic platform. His coaching experience and education span more than 50 years. He’s a popular lead instructor of USAW Weightlifting’s basic and advanced coaching courses. Coach Newton also provides his own seminars, clinics, and workshops at the local, national, and international level.
Looking for a coach? Here are some things Coach Newton suggests you consider:
- Knowledgeable - A good coach is obviously a subject content expert. In addition, though, a coach must know the industry and have a large cache of resources.
- Determined - A good coach has the endurance to see that athletes get where they want to go, with an eye on safety and long-term development as a person.
- Experienced - Extensive experience provides a coach with a voluminous background of options, since no two athletes are the same, nor do they respond to training the same.
- Flexible - A flexible approach is a must for good coaches. Not everyone benefits from certain exercises or pre-determined workout plans.
- Respectful - Few athletes are likely to reach the heights of elite sports performance, but everyone wants to experience the rewards of competition, increased self-confidence, and improvement. Good coaches know how to work with a wide variety of athletes and make sport a fun experience.
For more on Coach Newton and his insights into the sport of weightlifting, read about Harvey Newton's background, purchase his popular Explosive Lifting for Sports, explore his channel at www.dartfish.tv/newtonsports, and download these free PDFs:
Contact Coach Harvey Newton when you’re ready to set up a solid weightlifting program for you or a team or when you need assistance in your current program of instruction for advanced, explosive training.